LOCH FYNE RESTAURANTS - Recipes/Starters
Pan-fried Squid with Chunky Salsa
A delightfully fresh and light summer starter. With the addition of some crusty bread and a chunk of salty feta cheese this makes a tasty and simple lunch.
* 8 large squid, cleaned and prepared, without tentacles
* 2 clove garlic
* 30g butter
* Splash olive oil
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 75ml balsamic vinegar
- 75ml extra virgin olive oil
- 200g baby cherry tomatoes
- 2 sweet romano red peppers
- 1 small avocado, chopped
- 2 mild green chillies
- Small handful chopped coriander
- Lime wedges to serve
- Start by making the cherry tomato salsa. Place shallots and balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan and heat gently until the shallots have softened and vinegar has reduced to a syrupy consistency. Remove from heat and whisk in olive oil. Roughly chop tomatoes, red peppers and avocado, and finely chop the chillies. Mix in a bowl, and add dressing. Just before serving, add chopped coriander.
- Take each squid, and cut up each side of each pouch. Open out and score the inner flesh in a diamond pattern two or three times. Gently heat the garlic, butter and olive in a large frying pan until foaming. Turn up heat, add squid and cook for about a minute per side.
- Divide the salsa between four plates, and top with two squid per person.