LOCH FYNE RESTAURANTS - Buying Tips
This handy section gives you our best hints and tips on buying seafood.
When buying seafood there are several things worth keeping an eye out for, in order to guarantee its freshness.
Mussels and oysters
- Do not purchase if shells are cracked or if they open and don’t close shut when tapped
- Discard any that don’t open during cooking
- Natural, bright colours – not dull
- Eyes bright and bulging – not sunkenBright red gills
- Firm flesh – springs back when touched
- Pleasant sea smell
- Lustrous and firm – not dull and soft
- No ‘oozing’ of water when touched
- No discolouration
- Good shape